Be a voice for your awesome credit union.
We know you know credit unions are awesome. (After all, as a member, you’re part owner of one!) But here are some facts that maybe you don’t know:
- Credit unions save Iowans $100 million annually in better rates and fewer fees. (Wowza!)
- There are 1.1 million credit union members in Iowa.
- Credit unions have a $1.25 billion economic impact on the state economy.
- Credit unions continue to pay millions in taxes each year, including state monies and credits tax, payroll tax, sales tax and property tax.
Every once in a while (more often than we’d like!), the Iowa legislature is asked to consider a bill that is, shall we say, unfriendly to credit unions. There are a few ways that you (yep, YOU!) can have a positive impact on the future of credit unions. As a member/owner of your credit union, you can:
- Stay up-to-date on current issues facing credit unions. (This is a great place to start!)
- Contact your state legislators to encourage them to support credit-union-friendly legislation. (Not sure who your legislators are? Find out at www.legis.iowa.gov.)
- Donate to the Credit Union Political Action Committee (CUPAC), the voice for credit unions on Capitol Hill.
- Spread the good word about credit unions to family, friends, coworkers, and, well, gee, everyone you know! (Get started with this handy flyer.)
“10 in 10” Online CUPAC Campaign
On September 16, the Iowa Credit Union League launched the “10 in 10” Online CUPAC Campaign, which has a goal of raising $10,000 in 10 days.
As you may know, the government dictates how we can serve our members — from the services we offer to who we can serve, our work is impacted by legislation. This makes elections extremely important because electing candidates who are credit union champions can help us continue to work on positive legislation like remote notarization, affordable childcare, and savings incentive programs.
So now is the time to make your voice heard during election season! The Credit Union Political Action Committee (CUPAC) is an entity that pools contributions from individuals and donates them to candidates who support credit unions. CUPAC is nonpartisan, and an easy way to help support those that support the not-for-profit financial structure.
If you would like to help credit unions continue to live their “people helping people” mission, please consider a CUPAC contribution using the form below. Your donations over the next ten days will be rushed to CUPAC for this campaign.
Thank you for your consideration and thank you for your credit union membership!