Be a voice for your awesome credit union.
We know you know credit unions are awesome. (After all, as a member, you’re part owner of one!) But here are some facts that maybe you don’t know:
- Credit unions save Iowans $100 million annually in better rates and fewer fees. (Wowza!)
- There are 1.1 million credit union members in Iowa.
- Credit unions have a $1.25 billion economic impact on the state economy.
- Credit unions continue to pay millions in taxes each year, including state monies and credits tax, payroll tax, sales tax and property tax.
Every once in a while (more often than we’d like!), the Iowa legislature is asked to consider a bill that is, shall we say, unfriendly to credit unions. There are a few ways that you (yep, YOU!) can have a positive impact on the future of credit unions. As a member/owner of your credit union, you can:
- Stay up-to-date on current issues facing credit unions. (This is a great place to start!)
- Contact your state legislators to encourage them to support credit-union-friendly legislation. (Not sure who your legislators are? Find out at www.legis.iowa.gov.)
- Donate to the Credit Union Political Action Committee (CUPAC), the voice for credit unions on Capitol Hill.
- Spread the good word about credit unions to family, friends, coworkers, and, well, gee, everyone you know! (Get started with this handy flyer.)
Current Issue – January 16, 2019
As you may know, the Iowa legislature began the 2019 legislative session on Monday. During last year’s legislative session, Iowa bankers advocated for raising credit union taxes. As a result of your advocacy, credit union members were successful in defeating that attempt and preserving our cooperatively-owned alternative in the market.
However, despite having 90% of the market and record profits, Iowa bankers are lobbying again this year to raise taxes on Iowa credit unions and their member-owners.
Bankers would like to eliminate credit union competition in order to earn even more profits. This is not okay, and we need your help. Please send a short note to your State Representative asking him or her to oppose bankers’ efforts to raise credit unions taxes, which is a tax increase on YOU, our owner. (You’ll be able to personalize your message before you send it if you want.)
Visit www.ProtectFinancialChoice.com for more info on important policy issues affecting your credit union.
The Credit Union Political Action Committee (CUPAC) is the voice for credit unions on Capitol Hill. CUPAC talks to legislators on a regular basis, educating them on issues of importance to credit unions and their members. They are our advocates, and we urge you to support their efforts.