Be a voice for your awesome credit union.
We know you know credit unions are awesome. (After all, as a member, you’re part owner of one!) But here are some facts that maybe you don’t know:
- Credit unions save Iowans $100 million annually in better rates and fewer fees. (Wowza!)
- There are 1.1 million credit union members in Iowa.
- Credit unions have a $1.25 billion economic impact on the state economy.
- Credit unions continue to pay millions in taxes each year, including state monies and credits tax, payroll tax, sales tax and property tax.
Every once in a while (more often than we’d like!), the Iowa legislature is asked to consider a bill that is, shall we say, unfriendly to credit unions. There are a few ways that you (yep, YOU!) can have a positive impact on the future of credit unions. As a member/owner of your credit union, you can:
- Stay up-to-date on current issues facing credit unions. (This is a great place to start!)
- Contact your state legislators to encourage them to support credit-union-friendly legislation. (Not sure who your legislators are? Find out at www.legis.iowa.gov.)
- Donate to the Credit Union Political Action Committee (CUPAC), the voice for credit unions on Capitol Hill.
- Spread the good word about credit unions to family, friends, coworkers, and, well, gee, everyone you know! (Get started with this handy flyer.)
Legislative Update – May 9, 2018
The Iowa Legislature adjourned over the weekend, and thanks to you, our members, there was no tax increase on Iowa credit unions. Despite months of bank lobbyists trying to sway legislators and public opinion, you helped showcase that a not-for-profit financial alternative is needed in Iowa’s marketplace.
With your help, more than 40,000 emails were sent to legislators from Iowa credit union members, more than 2,500 handwritten letters were mailed, and more than 750 people showed up to rally for financial choice at the Capitol.
While you may have been just one among many, it was everyone’s individual contribution that made the difference. Banks may be bigger and have deep shareholder pockets, but they don’t have members like you, and we showed that we are truly stronger together.
For more information, read Iowa Credit Union League’s official post-session press release. If your legislator listened to your concerns and voted to protect financial choice, please thank them!
Visit www.ProtectFinancialChoice.com for more info on important policy issues affecting your credit union.
The Credit Union Political Action Committee (CUPAC) is the voice for credit unions on Capitol Hill. CUPAC talks to legislators on a regular basis, educating them on issues of importance to credit unions and their members. They are our advocates, and we urge you to support their efforts.