Be a voice for your awesome credit union.
We know you know credit unions are awesome. (After all, as a member, you’re part owner of one!) But here are some facts that maybe you don’t know:
- Credit unions save Iowans $100 million annually in better rates and fewer fees. (Wowza!)
- There are 1.1 million credit union members in Iowa.
- Credit unions have a $1.25 billion economic impact on the state economy.
- Credit unions continue to pay millions in taxes each year, including state monies and credits tax, payroll tax, sales tax and property tax.
Every once in a while (more often than we’d like!), the Iowa legislature is asked to consider a bill that is, shall we say, unfriendly to credit unions. There are a few ways that you (yep, YOU!) can have a positive impact on the future of credit unions. As a member/owner of your credit union, you can:
- Stay up-to-date on current issues facing credit unions. (This is a great place to start!)
- Contact your state legislators to encourage them to support credit-union-friendly legislation. (Not sure who your legislators are? Find out at www.legis.iowa.gov.)
- Donate to the Credit Union Political Action Committee (CUPAC), the voice for credit unions on Capitol Hill.
- Spread the good word about credit unions to family, friends, coworkers, and, well, gee, everyone you know! (Get started with this handy flyer.)
Legislative Update – May 2, 2019
The Iowa legislature has adjourned for the year, and it was a positive session for credit unions. Despite the bankers’ best efforts, no harmful changes were made to our tax structure or to the Iowa Credit Union Act. Additionally, two pieces of legislation were sent to Governor Reynolds:
- HF 263 would allow some flexibility for credit unions that offer alternatives to payday loans.
- SF 475 would provide for remote notarization in Iowa, which will assist all businesses that may need a notary.
A HUGE thanks to YOU, our members, for making your voices heard! We very much appreciate all the phone calls, emails, and letters you directed toward your legislators in support of your credit union! Visit www.ProtectFinancialChoice.com for more info on important policy issues affecting credit unions.
The Credit Union Political Action Committee (CUPAC) is the voice for credit unions on Capitol Hill. CUPAC talks to legislators on a regular basis, educating them on issues of importance to credit unions and their members. They are our advocates, and we urge you to support their efforts.