Derecho recovery assistance for our members.
If you’ve been hit hard by the derecho and need some extra money to put things right with your home and/or vehicle, we’re here for you! Effective immediately, we’re offering a disaster relief loan for up to $3,500 at 2.99% APR* for a maximum term of 36 months. You’ll have up to 60 days to make the first payment.
To be eligible for this unsecured disaster relief loan, you must be a Linn Area Credit Union member and have (or be willing to get!) one or more of the following:
- an active existing Linn Area loan
- an active Linn Area credit card
- a Linn Area checking account with direct deposit or other activity in the past 30 days
We will be offering this disaster relief loan through October 31, 2020. To apply, please contact us or visit a Linn Area Credit Union walk-in branch. You may also apply via our secure online application.
Iowa Individual Assistance Grant Program
In response to the derecho’s destruction, Governor Kim Reynolds issued a disaster proclamation on August 11, 2020. The proclamation activates the Iowa Individual Assistance Grant Program (IIAGP) for qualifying residents.
The IIAGP provides grants of up to $5,000 for households with incomes up to 200% of the federal poverty level. The grants can be used for:
- home repairs
- replacement of personal property, such as clothing or kitchen items
- replacement of spoiled or destroyed food
- temporary housing expenses
Be sure to save your receipts if you plan to request reimbursement for disaster-related expenses. (You’ll need to provide them with the application!)
Learn more about the IIAGP and view the grant application and instructions. The application deadline is September 25, 2020.
FEMA Individual Assistance (Designated counties only)
If you’re a homeowner or renter in a county that has been included in Iowa’s disaster declaration, you can apply for assistance through FEMA’s Individual and Households Program. The Federal grants will help pay for emergency home repairs, uninsured personal property losses, temporary housing, and medical expenses caused by the derecho.
See if your county is designated for FEMA assistance. To apply, call 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY), from 6am to 9pm CST, or apply online.
To complete your registration, you’ll need:
- Social Security number (SSN) OR the SSN of a minor child in the household who is a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien
- annual household income
- contact information: Phone number, mailing address, and street address of the damaged home. If you want to review your registration status online, you must also provide an email address. (If you don’t provide an email address, you’ll have to contact FEMA for any updates to your registration.)
- insurance information (coverage, insurance company name, etc.)
- bank account information (if you’re eligible to receive financial assistance, the money can be deposited directly to your account)
Matthew 25 is offering free home repairs by its volunteers and partners. To be eligible, you must:
- own your home
- have damage to your home that insurance won’t cover
- earn under 80% of median income
American Red Cross
The American Red Cross is offering emergency grants of $450 to qualified households. Funds can be used to replace clothes or food, offset transportation costs, or support other immediate needs. To apply, call 1-800-REDCROSS and select prompt 4. The financial assistance application requires a valid text-enabled phone number and/or an email address for processing.
You’ll need this information to complete your application:
- documentation to validate identity, which can include U.S. or foreign passport, government issued driver’s license or ID, permanent resident card, or consular identification
- documents to validate proof of residence, which can include a valid government-issued driver’s license or ID; a deed, mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement on property letterhead signed by landlord; a monthly utility bill or bank statement; or an official document such as mail from a child’s school or vehicle insurance card, dated between July 11, 2020 and Sept. 9, 2020
- bank account information. Funds will be made available using Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
The Iowa Association of REALTORS®
The Iowa Association of REALTORS® (IAR) is partnering with the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) to provide storm relief for areas of Iowa impacted by the derecho. This grant can help qualified individuals with mortgage payment assistance or rental costs due to displacement up to $1,000 per applicant. The deadline to submit an application is October 31, 2020.
Here are some scenarios that would be eligible:
- a homeowner with a mortgage who was displaced due to damage to their home
- a homeowner with a mortgage living in their home without power due to the storm damage
- a renter that was displaced due to damage to their apartment building
General assistance and crisis counseling
For food, funding, or shelter assistance, dial 2-1-1, text your zip code to 899211 or visit 211iowa.org. For 24/7 disaster crisis counseling, call the Iowa Concern Hotline at (800) 447-1985.