As you may have heard on the news, Target announced recently that as many as 40 million of its customers who used their debit and/or credit cards in Target stores between November 27th and December 15th may have been affected by a data breach. Target says customers who made a purchase during this time period may have had their name, card number, expiration date and three-digit security code exposed.
Target Data Breach Press Release
When breaches like this take place merchants work with the national credit card companies to identify what information has been exposed to unauthorized parties. Once it has been determined whose information has been exposed, a list of the compromised cardholders is then shared with the affected financial institutions.
If you shopped at Target between November 27th and December 15th Linn Area Credit Union recommends the following steps:
- Monitor your account. As this breach is said to have affected both credit and debit cardholders, as well as the checking account information of Target Red Card users, we are recommending monitoring your checking account purchases through eBranch and your pending credit card transactions through Mycardinfo.
- Update your information with us. Please make sure that LACU has your most recent contact information (phone number, email address, and physical address) so we can get in touch with you if suspicious transactions occur. You can do this simply by giving us a call at (319) 378-0101, stopping by your nearest LACU branch or by going to eBranch, clicking on the “Options” tab, and then selecting “Personal Information” in the “Personal Options/Preferences” box.
- If you see suspicious activity your account, visit the nearest LACU branch or if you are unable to visit a branch call (319) 378-0101.
- UPDATED: Watch your mailbox. Letters were sent out on Monday, December 23rd to all LACU debit card holders whose information was compromised by the data breach. The letter contained information on the re-issuing of cards and what to do in the meantime. IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE A LETTER, YOUR ACCOUNT WAS NOT COMPROMISED.
- Check www.LinnAreaCU.org for updates. We will provide updated information as we receive it.